chapter five

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Dinner date at Yuca Bar


I met up with my good friend, Patty, from undergrad tonight at Astor Place around 7pm. We met by the sculpture of the cube turned onto its corner. Deb Oakley would probably have loved this sculpture, but who cares.

We walked around the East Village in search of a Turkish restaurant which we did not know the name or location of. Without luck and growling bellies, we decided to eat at Yuca Bar
. It proved to be quite tasty and it was a perfect night to eat outside. Patty had the Churrasco grilled skirt steak and I had the oh-so-delicious guava BBQ short rib with yuca fries. Hooray yuca fries! Holy moly they were good. Thick cut and crispy like nobody's business. Patty got major food envy, so I happily shared some of them with her. We also had glasses of sangria and shared the Warm Chocolate Cake cortadito. To quote Rachel Ray...YUM-O! It gets better and better as you dig into it once you get into the gooey, warm, chocolately core.

It was really great to see Patty and reminisce about old times, gripe about the architecture profession, and talk about all the concerts that we will be going to. Can't wait....I've been wanting to go to some concerts now that I'm finally free from the shackles of grad school.

So once we finished dinner, we started walking back towards the NQRW line past all the too cool hipsters in the area. As we were chatting we happened to pass by a group of these cool guys, one of which said "Don't they look smart." So why did he say that? Just because I happened to be wearing a collared shirt with sweater vest and we both wear glasses....does that make us smart looking? I guess so.

I was told the same thing before when I used to work at Crate and Barrel back in college. I've been wearing glasses full-time since I finished high school. I remember always being asked by customers where they could find this or what was good about that, even though there would be another sales associate right there. My one coworker said it's probably because I'm asian....and then of course glasses don't help. They probably thought my eyes got so bad from reading all those books by candle light (not from watching too much tv).

I am so smart....SMRT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home